[Nitro] About the different repos

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:47:57 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Jonas Pfenniger <zimba.tm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Actually there are two major repos out there :
> * http://devlab.oree.ch/darcs/glycerin
> * http://repo.nitroproject.org
>
> The first one's short name is "glycerin". It would be handy to also
> have a short name for george's repo. What about "navel", "tip", "edge"
> or simply "repo" ? George is best placed to choose a name for his repo
> but inputs are welcom.
>
> I would also like to know what will happen to all modifications in
> glycerin. I think that George will take his own repo to make the
> release and as the time passes, the differences between both repos
> grows. We all know that the changes will have to be merged one time
> because if we wait too long, some part of the work will be lost. We
> also know that George doesn't particularily like to merge other
> people's work ;-) This is why I propose to sync glycerin on "repo" as
> fast as possible. And this leads to the third point...
>
> Some people (like me) are developping on top of glycerin because 0.30
> is unstable and the fixes are only in glycerin. The mistake was to not
> create a stable branch for 0.30. Now I think it's too late but for the
> next release, I'll create a new repo where we can backport fixes.
> Probably under the url http://devlab.oree.ch/nitroproject/0.31
>
> Please post your thoughts :-)

Personally I think have two repos like this is too problematic. There
needs to be one main repo. People can of course pull down there own
and work on it with the goal of applying their patches back to main.
But what's going to happen with two main repos is that a whole lot of
work is going to end up useless. This is also another reason why SOC
is so important. When parts of a system are clearly separated it
becomes easier for a community to work on those parts separately.

T.