[Nitro] About the different repos

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:01:47 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Jonas Pfenniger <zimba.tm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Actually there are two major repos out there :
> * http://devlab.oree.ch/darcs/glycerin
> * http://repo.nitroproject.org
>
> The first one's short name is "glycerin". It would be handy to also
> have a short name for george's repo. What about "navel", "tip", "edge"
> or simply "repo" ? George is best placed to choose a name for his repo
> but inputs are welcom.

Arguably, nitroproject is more glycerin than devlab. ;)

> I would also like to know what will happen to all modifications in
> glycerin. I think that George will take his own repo to make the
> release and as the time passes, the differences between both repos
> grows. We all know that the changes will have to be merged one time
> because if we wait too long, some part of the work will be lost. We
> also know that George doesn't particularily like to merge other
> people's work ;-) This is why I propose to sync glycerin on "repo" as
> fast as possible. And this leads to the third point...

Yes, I believe George is planning to release 0.31 from nitroproject.
There will be no 0.30.1 bugfix release.

> Some people (like me) are developping on top of glycerin because 0.30
> is unstable and the fixes are only in glycerin. The mistake was to not
> create a stable branch for 0.30. Now I think it's too late but for the
> next release, I'll create a new repo where we can backport fixes.
> Probably under the url http://devlab.oree.ch/nitroproject/0.31

If a stable branch is desired by the community, devlab has only
bugfixes and minimal enhancements. It might still be useful as a
stable branch. Whatever the users want. :)

By the way, zimba:

$ darcs pull http://devlab.oree.ch/darcs/nitrohq
darcs failed:  Not a repository: http://devlab.oree.ch/darcs/nitrohq
(user error (Failed to download URL