[Nitro] RDog ping

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 18:49:26 EDT 2006

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Why use YAML at all? Why not database back this information? The
> original plan for rdog was to use Og to store all the information. The
> YAML stuff was only a transitional thing because we couldn't get Og to
> work. That has been resolved, but we never finished porting it to use
> Og.

In case my earlier posts were not clear, I see the YAML as an
intermediate way to get the data into someplace for Og/Nitro to play with.

Yes, I imagine now that the hacked ruedoc code I'm using could just poke
stuff into a database, by-passing the saving to disk/loading into
Og-based object step.

> I have actually just checked out the repository and installed nitro. I'm
> gonna try and get rdoc-devel (my hacked rdoc) to work with ruby 1.8.4
> (there's probably rdoc changes again that are breaking things). I'm also
> gonna try and transition to a proper og generator and move away from the
> YAML one. I tried to kludge the Og one onto the existing YAML one which
> just added more issues than it solved.
> I think YAML is not really suited to this anyway, it's harder to
> generate a list of all classes/methods, you often have to load more into
> RAM than you need and it's a pain to search. I think Og would do an all
> round better job.

Well, here's the thing: is it feasible to just keep the entire API in
memory, using some data structure suited for searching and lookups?

E.g., using Madeleine.

James Britt

"The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
  - Edsger W. Dijkstra