[Nitro] Devlab and Facets-1.4.2

Jonas Pfenniger zimba.tm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 06:56:58 EDT 2006

> You can use tailor as a bridge between subversion and darcs. That's
> our current plan. Unfortunately, there is a bug in darcs that affects
> one of our patches that's preventing us from using it. Somehow, we
> have a patch that both adds and removes the same set of files and the
> command tailor uses to sync the two repos doesn't list the adds. It
> doesn't appear to be a common problem though.

Almost correct. Tailor works only with Darcs 1.0.7, which is now
masked in Gentoo (the distro on which devlab runs). Tailor has other
bugs (related to how darcs and svn handle file moves because darcs is
too smart :-) that prevent going further but I've seen that the
project's bug tracker has moved quite a bit these times so I might
give a try again.

> I can't speak for Jonas, but if you plan to host on devlab, perhaps
> he'd be willing to use subversion?

Okay so my idea was to start with subversion until tailor works
correctly. We know that Trac works with it nicely and ^ it is better
supported. I would then like to provide a darcs mirror for the people
who prefer darcs once tailor works perfectly.

There is also another thing that doesn't work well with Trac+Darcs :
branches. Since Trac is designed to have one install per repo it is
not very nice. I don't know if it's feasible but I'm going to try to
investigate on merging different darcs repos into sub folders of an
svn-repo. That way we could have for example :
glycerin -> /branches/glycerin
george's repo -> /trunk
0.30 -> /releases/0.30
0.31 -> /releases/0.31
where / is the root of the svn repo.

I don't know if all this is feasible but since there is no good
alternative to Trac, I think it's better to start with SVN and see
what we can do else in the future.

--
Cheers,
  zimbatm