[Nitro] RDog ping

James Britt james.britt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 17:20:54 EDT 2006

TRANS wrote:
> On 6/21/06, James Britt <james.britt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>But it does include an rdoc template that generates the YAML (again,
>>driven by the built-in rdoc that Dave Thomas wrote).
>

> Ah, okay. Well, that's sort of too bad in a way. I think a "Rdoc2" is
> sorely needed. I tried creating a template for RDoc once and about
> lost my wits. It was simply too hard.

I've done OK modifying existing templates, fixing up bad  XHTML and
adding in some details, but determining just how template variables get
set is tedious.

On the bright side, looking at ruedoc and rdoc-hacks, one can get a
fairly straight-forward data structure with the rdoc details, and them
use that to drive a template.

What I'm looking at now is how to track the name of the file where a
method/const/attr is defined, so that, for example, one can look at
Array and see that it can have a to_yaml method, but only if you include
another file.

One thought: ruedoc/yamlize each file, one-by-one, and then let rdog
manage the interleaving of classes and methods.  (This might make it
easier to handle arbitrary rdoc data from gems and such; just parse and
load, and let rdog do the rest.)

--
James Britt