[Nitro] Some suggestions for 0.31.0 (gems)

Jonas Pfenniger zimba.tm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 03:35:15 EDT 2006

On 17/06/06, Michael Fellinger <m.fellinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> First: >> nitro/ProjectInfo:  - [ RedCloth, '= 3.1.3' ] <<
> Can we somehow get rid of that dependency?
> Lots of people use BlueCloth instead and as far as i've seen it's only
> used in Flare/Spark - which are not installed with the gems and in
> Glue, as a kind of convinience that is not really documented but i
> guess it's being used for {{...}} or {|...|}
> i've not heard about both until looking into that file to find out why
> i have to install redcloth over and over again with nitro.

More insight : Glue::Markup depends on RedCloth. Also, last time I
checked RedCloth 3.1.4 was considered as broken. This is why Nitro
stays at 3.1.3.

The best thing to do IMHO is to remove that dependency and make a
clear message when you use glue/markup. (which is used by
nitro/compiler/markup, which in turn is in the default compiler

> All of these changes would make it much smoother for newbies to get
> up'n'running with nitro without too much effort from our side, but
> there is more - taking a bit more effort :)

Well, I don't really see how having fixed dependencies is a problem.
Gem has versionning for that purpose isn't it ? The newbie might
wonder why we have fixed versions but that's another case. The code
will still work. Installing nitro is not more complicated than `gem
install nitro -y`, fixed deps or not.

Having fixed deps was a decision of George and I agree with him : with
a release, we know which package work with which version of nitro and
og. For example, latest facets (1.4.1) breaks george's version at
repo.nitroproject.com. So maybe it's curious for newbies but there is
a good reason behind it.

> gemifying examples/spark/flare

This is very simple but needs some love. First of all, install `reap`.
It's a tool written by Trans to simplify your work. Make a ProjectInfo
in flare/spark's root. You can find some examples in Og and Nitro's
root. Then type : `reap package` . Et voilà ! :-)