[Nitro] temporary database structures

Bill Kelly billk at cts.com
Wed Jun 14 15:05:29 EDT 2006

I'm writing a fairly standard shopping app, with customers
adding items to a cart, entering shipping and/or billing
addresses, etc.

Of course, someone browsing the store may add stuff to their
cart, maybe fill in some forms, but ultimately never complete
their order.

These abandoned, partially-completed orders will remain in
the database, unless I perform some periodic housekeeping
sweep to clean out old incomplete orders.

I'm wondering if anyone may have suggestions, experiences, or
best practices to share for dealing with this kind of
incomplete data.

For now, I'll probably just let it accumulate, and write
some housecleaning script when it becomes needed.

But maybe there are better approaches?  If it were easy to
have two different database connections with Og, I might
have one database holding temporary orders, and only
store completed orders in the main database.

Thanks for your thoughts,