[Nitro] Can nitro be used with eruby?

Anne G anne at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 14 11:14:44 EDT 2006

1. using Nitro

> while there are some complex parts in Nitro, one can
> safely ignore most of it and do simple, template-driven
> Web sites quite easily.

Sounds like what I need. Right now I am trying to learn the
B-A-ba

> Q10: Ok! I see the example, I run it, but I do not
> understand what is happening. Could you explain the
> execution cycle of a small application like the
> HelloWorld? E.g when I do: "ruby run.rb" what happens?

George answered I 'll come back with this one :)
but he did not!!! I wish  he had.

the tutorial uses a skeleton, not what I am looking for
right now. The examples George and James gave me were best.
I started with George's example, instead of
      The time now is #{Time.now}
I tried,

in public, index.xhtml:
   <title>Hello</title>
       <?r puts "this is cool" ?>
       or what
, I only get, or what.

Next I tried puting the ruby code in the run.rb

require 'nitro'
value1="1"
Nitro.run

and trying
     The value is #{value1}
that gave an error
     The value is #{value1=1}
worked (I get: the value is 1).
-------------------------------------

I thought James example would be easy to use
but I get an error, right now I don't see what could be
the problem. its from day 2 teach yourself ruby!

#--- File src/controller/main/rb ---

class Main
   def index
     @title = "Erb Example"
     @body = task1 +task2
     emit
   end

  private

   def task1
     return "1"
   end

   def task2
     return "2"
   end

   def emit
     template = ERB.new( html )
     template.result(binding)
   end

   def html
   end
end

That's for the applied exercise using NITRO.

For the conceptural issues involved, I wrote down what I
understood so far. It is still a bit vague, but I will clean
my post as I find more info.
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/dreamseeker/

finding
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/UnderstandingHowRequestsAreRouted
was a big step forward.

My thinking is that with apache, I can set up a .htaccess
file, which will redirect calls to a cgi file which would
act as james controller. I should do it just to demonstrate
the concept.

But first it would be nice to have George et James modified
examples working

thanks for your help,

Anne