[Nitro] Render#redirect question

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 01:57:24 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Lars Olsson <lasso at lassoweb.nu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html the
> difference between a 302 and a 303 status codes is that the 303 status
> code explicitly tells the browser to use a GET request when redirecting.
> The 302 allows POST and HEAD as well. The 'patch' is as simple as
> changing the default for the status parameter to 302 instead of 303.

I'm not so sure that's the only difference... Nice link by the way. :)

10.3.3 302 Found

The requested resource resides temporarily under a different URI.

vs.

10.3.4 303 See Other

The response to the request can be found under a different URI and
SHOULD be retrieved using a GET method on that resource.

The response code of 303 seems more in line with typical usage, i.e.
redirecting to a login screen for protected content, but that's just
my opinion and a relatively uninformed one at that, in regards to HTTP
response codes.

Should it be 302 rather than 303? Opinions anyone? :)