[Nitro] Cannot require 'builder' in a Nitro app

James Britt james_b at neurogami.com
Fri Jan 20 22:13:30 EST 2006

Bryan Soto wrote:

> Hi James,
> I wish I had a simple answer for you. Basic problem is a collision between
> Jim's  Builder and Glue::Builder and Glue being included into the top level
> namespace by default. There is a $GLUE_DONT_INCLUDE flag, but it doesn't
> appear to have been tested against as setting it before requiring nitro
> gives some missing constant errors. I'll try to get a patch in to fix
> that...
> In the mean time, there is an XmlHelper and RssHelper (0.9) available in
> Nitro. Hopefully they'll meet your needs. Docs available via gem_server or

This doesn't really solve my problem.  I have assorted code that emits
XML using Builder, and I simply want to use it in other places.

I do not want to have to learn and use two similar but
not-really-the-same libraries; one is quite enough.

(Indeed, I wonder why Nitro doesn't just use Jim's Builder rather than
reinventing the wheel.)

I've managed to get around the issue by copying the Builder::XmlMarkup
lib and renaming things, and using my munged version.

It's cheesy, but for the moment all I want to do is get a site finished.