[Nitro] [NITRO] Feature request: create a deep copy method for managed Og clases

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Fri Jan 20 12:42:26 EST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 11:59:58AM +0100, vseguip at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>   It would be fine if Nitro featured a way to copy existing objects in
> the Database.Ideally, it should be able to copy the record in the
> table and (optionally) recurse through all weak entities and copy them
> too. For instance suppose we have the following schema:
>

>  A |<---------joins many------------>| B
>                   AtoB --------- has _many ---------- AtoBprops
>

> If I copy an object of class A  then it sould copythe record in the
> table, and optionally recursively copy all AtoB and AtoBprops but not
> the related B object since B entities are not weak.

I posted a request along those same lines under the title `Og deep copy?' a
couple of weeks ago. So this feature would be useful to me too.

One application is the case where one has a datacenter configuration database
with prototype hosts with various components (disks, NICs, etc.). Using this
feature one could instantiate new hosts with their dependent objects based on
those existing prototype hosts with ease because the dependent objects would
be created as deep copies automatically.

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com