[Nitro] Nitro and Facets version

James Britt james_b at neurogami.com
Wed Jan 18 02:11:18 EST 2006

George Moschovitis wrote:
> Please avoid using nitrogen/nitro in 0.26.0
> These commands are not used a lot in Nitro, as Nitro does not force a
> structure on the directory. Prefer to use
> ruby run.rb in your app dir.

Well, but having a simple script to create a basic directory structure
and config/app files very handy.

(Actually, what's needed is a gen generator. You create the dirs and
files you think you'll be using for 90% of your apps, point the gen-gen
script at it, and it creates a generator tool for creating that same set
of dir and files on demand.  One of those phantom 'free time' projects,
I suppose.)

I like the idea of how Rails plops down things you're (most likely)
going to use, but loathe how the ratio of needed/gee-maybe-but-unlikely
is so poor.

I guess YAGNI isn't in the Popular Buzz Terms list.

> The 0.27.0 release is coming early next week. This release will be
> focused to small 'details' like the utility scripts. Ie things that
> baffle newcomers like you.

0.27.0 includes a 'nitrogen' script in the bin folder.  It advises the
user to run 'gen', which is not provided.

James Britt