[Nitro] nitro scgi support improvement

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:21:47 EST 2006

On 1/15/06, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/06, Rob Pitt <rob at motionpath.com> wrote:
> > I am unsure how SCGI works but if it is anything like FastCGI you need
> > Drb so that the multiple spawned FastCGI processes can share sessions.
> Correct, you need DRB sessions for SCGI, just like in FCGI
> -g.
For anyone searching the archive later, I'll mention File based sessions
work for FCGI as well. Probably slower, but at least you can build up to a
DRB session as needed.

And how does one know they need to do this? If you have multiple processes
running, and you perform some action, i.e. log on, that should store info in
that user's session, and on a later request that info mysteriously
disappears and the user has to log on _again_, you're multiple processes are
storing info per process. You need to switch to File or DRB storage so that
all the processes store and retrieve the session info from one place, thus
sharing the data.

No doubt everyone on the list knows this, but for some newcomer to how
servers and browsers interact in a session based web app (me for example a
few months ago), it was an odd thing. Maybe this will spare some other
newcomer. Or perhaps the FCGI, SCGI and potentially ACGI adapters should
default to File based session info? I'll see about a patch if anyone thinks
it's an okay idea.