[Nitro] Og.setup benchmarking results

Aleksi Niemela Aleksi.Niemela at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Jan 10 17:26:53 EST 2006

Tim was claiming Og.setup was too slow so I made a benchmark out of his
partial schema. 29 tables and some 70 constraints were created in
PostgreSQL. I measured total time, time spent at sql execution in ruby
postgres bindings (I use postgres-pr, the pure ruby lib) or in postgres
itself. Did the tests two times against a clean, freshly initiated
database and then two reruns.

Here are the results, hopefully they come through the mail.

	Fresh run

	Total 	PSQL 	Og
	Total 	PSQL 	Og
With sql printing 	18.16 	13.68 	4.48
	2.89 	0.49 	2.4

	18.49 	14.04 	4.45
	2.86 	0.48 	2.38

Without sql printing

	11.78 	9.83 	1.95
	2.26 	0.19 	2.07

	11.56 	9.7 	1.86
	2.28 	0.19 	2.09

I see no point trying to make Og side faster. Without debug prints Og
uses 20% of real time trying to generate SQL to execute in setup. In
rerun practically no SQL code executed so the same 2 secs gets spent in
Og. Maybe some portion of it could be shaved off. I didn't measure how
long will all the enchanting take out of that 2 secs.

Web app with complex Og schema won't have huge performance under CGI.
But I wouldn't expect so.

   - Aleksi