[Nitro] How Zed Saved www.nitrohq.com

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Feb 24 07:11:11 EST 2006

I was sitting in the #nitro IRC channel for a few days since I do work on
Mongrel (http://mongrel.rubyforge.org) and Nitro uses it as one of their
adapters.  I was going to get the darcs repository and see how they used it
and help make it work for them.

People kept complaining that the www.nitrohq.com site was down and when I
tried to hit it the site didn't answer so I just went about my business.

Today I got up and was bored so I decided to look into it.  I hit
http://www.whois.sc/nitrohq.com and found out what DNS servers were being
used.  I couldn't get to one at all and the other was completely screwed not
answering DNS queries.  I added the IP address to my /etc/hosts and turned
out the www.nitrohq.com site was actually working it just had screwed DNS.

First thing I did was e-mail info at navel.gr and told them to fix it.

Second thing I did was grab a mirror through my /etc/hosts change using wget
-m to grab the whole thing.  I then put it on the mongrel site at
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/www.nitrohq.com/ and stripped out all the
google ads and videos.

By the time I'd finished doing this mirroring the folks at navel.gr actually
fixed the site.  Took them a whole five minutes tops.

I'm keeping the mirror up in case it goes down again.

Hope y'all like it.

Zed A. Shaw