[Nitro] Generating scaffolding / stub codes?

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:56:48 EST 2006

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth here about rails
plug-ins/engines. These are described in the rails environment as a
"vertical slice of functionality" which you can just drop in your app
and suddenly it fits and works.

My experience with engines and plug-ins hasn't been quite so smooth.
The authors make certain assumptions which may not fit and you then
have to work around them. In the MVC stack this is particularly a
sticking point in the Views. nItegrating them into your own views and
still allowing for smooth upgrades of the engines is tricky. If you
want to Ajaxify any action it adds to the problem.

I think the GEM approach may be better where you leave the View part
to the developer. For example the SENTRY gem is better I think than a
User engine. It may not do everything a user engine would do but does
most of the difficult parts.

Ofcourse some of these problems can be avoided if lot of the features
are configurable via options in an env file...but that makes the
Engine developers task more difficult.

Architectural guidlines set down by the core develpers may go a long
way in making this a lot smoother for develpers as well as users.

-bakki