[Nitro] debugging nitro apps

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 14:29:33 EST 2006

Hi Bryan,

On 2/21/06, Bryan Soto <bryan.a.soto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bakki,
>
> There aren't very many Ruby debuggers available. There is the standard
> one, simply add -rdebug to your command line, though I've heard it's
> very slow. It does integrate well with Emacs if you use it.

I was using Emacs for Perl development and might try it for ruby...but
then a slow debugger won't be good.

> Arachnoruby actually ships a specially compiled version of Ruby that
> speeds up debugging. You might find it worthwhile to contact Lothar
> about it not running. It might be something simple. Lastly, there is

I read on the Forum at Arachnoruby that other Linux users have tried
to get Lothar to speed up Linux side development which is currently
lagging the Windows counterpart by almost a year.  Lothar says on the
forum "The debugging might work or not, please check this first before
buying, as ArachnoRuby uses a patched interpreter there might be some
problems with extensions (when they are not compiled against the
official 1.8.1 or 1.8.2 ruby source code)" Also the Debian package
maintainers version numbers are causing some problems since they
differ from the mainline Ruby version numbers. So it appears that the
Linux versions problems are limited to Debian. All this may go away
when 0.7 for Linux is released soon. I'll wait and see.

> the new Mr. Guid, a graphical debugger available on Rubyforge. I've no
> experience with it, though. Available at:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/mr-guid/

Thanks for that link. I downloaded and installed it on my system and
it seems to run. I'll play with it and see how well it works. So far
it looks promising.

Thank you again for your help,

best,

bakki