[Nitro] debugging nitro apps

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:19:16 EST 2006

On 2/21/06, Bakki Kudva <bakki.kudva at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use breakpointer in Rails and the RadRails IDE for Rails debugging
> which has a lot of limitations. No way to debug by stepping through
> source code .
> I was hoping that there is something I could use on Linux (I looked
> into Arachnoruby but its debugger does not work on my Debian box) to
> step through not only the app code but also the framework itself. I
> feel this is the best way to learn Nitro or any other ruby framework
> with source.
> Can you please enlighten me on the best practices of Ruby/Nitro
> debugging which the core developers use?
> Thanks,
> bakki

Hi Bakki,

There aren't very many Ruby debuggers available. There is the standard
one, simply add -rdebug to your command line, though I've heard it's
very slow. It does integrate well with Emacs if you use it.
Arachnoruby actually ships a specially compiled version of Ruby that
speeds up debugging. You might find it worthwhile to contact Lothar
about it not running. It might be something simple. Lastly, there is
the new Mr. Guid, a graphical debugger available on Rubyforge. I've no
experience with it, though. Available at:

I believe it uses GTK, so it might work well for you on Debian.

Hope that helps,