[Nitro] Facets More & Glue

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:57:17 EST 2006

Well, since George is around. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there.

This whole ordeal with Facets Core/More/Nano/Mega/Carats/Calibre crap
has just taken its toll on me. I have spent months trying to firgure
out a resaonble solution. There doesn't seem to be one. The mess
arises out of a complex mixture of circumstance, namely the
fundamental distiction between the natures of the core and more parts,
plus the way Ruby itself handles libraries, plus how setup.rb works to
distribute them, and how RubyGems works to do the same. Taken all
together it makes for a very ugly organization requiring extra special
Rakefile tasks and/or Gemspecs to weave things together properly
depending on the chosen dev layout. I have tried many posibilites over
the last few months, and I think they all suck. I've even wrote a
script that would change how Ruby requires libraries in light of it,
but I realize that's an utterly worthless endevor*.

So George wants to me to move Facets into the Nitro repository and
make it an offical part of the Nitro project. I'm all for it. But I
hesitate to do so until the problem is satisfactorily resolved.  But
as I've said I no longer think there is a solution. That leaves only
the possiblity that core and more should be two separate projects. I
never wanted that, but I don't see any way around it. But I also don't
wan't to to introduce another dependency into Nitro (not least of
which reasons is b/c no name for said project has ever been
satisfactory either). So right now I'm thinking the solution is to
take the More part of Facets and merge it into Glue. Then Facets
itself would just be the core extension methods. The only problem I
have with that is that ideally these classes, modules and frameworks
should be completely _generic_ (i.e usable without Nitro/Og), but some
of the stuff in Glue currently only works in conjuction with Nitro/Og.
Maybe that's not really a big deal, but it should at least be given
consideration.

T.

*Politics within the Ruby community being what they are.