[Nitro] 1.0 (revisited)

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 05:07:13 EST 2006

Hello Aidan,

I more or less agree with you. As I said in an earlier post, I
personally will not be able to work on Nitro for 1-2 months starting
from February 13th. For this reason we will setup a 'stabilization'
repository with help for the MotionPath guys. The idea is  during the
next 1-2 months to stabilize the current version of Nitro:

- cleanup the source code.
- write more docs and example.
- improve the website.

But the community should really step up and help in this. There is a saying:

'put  your money where  your mouth is'

Ie, if you really want to help improve Nitro in the way you describe
please coordinate with Bryan Sotto, Guillaume and Chris/Rob who agreed
to help in this stabilization project. Or you can follow the example
of Emanuel Piperakis who 'sponsored' some Nitro features like WebFile,
Og accumulator and more with a donation. Or you can  contribute a more
concrete 'Business' plan for version 1.0. Or start evangelising nitro
to attract some more people who could help here.

Now, speaking about me. Please note that I do not have infinite time,
and I have to work to earn  money. I am developing Nitro not to take
over the world, but to learn something, use it in my own projects, and
contribute something back  to the great Ruby community.

About the documentation, I would like to write a book about Nitro/Og.
Perhaps with the help of someone from our community (James Britt?) or
as a Navel project or something.

Let me close this post be restating: Nitro is here to stay. I like to
parallelize Nitro-Rails with Ruby-Python/Perl. Python/Perl were better
documented initially, had more users, and accused Ruby of copying
ideas. But Ruby was introducing important differences in the mix, and
eventually got the missing ingredients (docs, people).

I suggest to stay on the Nitro camp, and help even more to improve the
things that need improvement.

best regards,
George.

PS: Lets hear some more people's opinion here. Lets here solutions,
and practical ideas how we can make Nitro more a community project.

--
http://www.gmosx.com
http://www.navel.gr