[Nitro] Retrospective and future direction.

Michael Fellinger manveru at weez.co.jp
Thu Apr 20 00:40:07 EDT 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 07:33, TRANS wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Bryan Soto <bryan.a.soto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Native? none :)
> > > But afaik it uses Threads 'n stuff, where they supported by Java?
> > > I think, now that Yarv is almost finished, maybe I could test running
> > > Nitro with that :)
> >
> > I've been meaning to try that as well. I'm fairly certain it would
> > work since they got rails running on yarv.
> Oh boy. I'm curious to see how this flys. Nitro is so much more
> dynamic codewise than Rails, I suspect it won't go as smoothly. But
> there no way to know except to try!
> If you do, let me know how it fairs.

Well, i tried... but ran into simultanous problems with rubygems
(facets)/stdlib and minor issues with syntax-changes...
I think it can be done when we just put a bit more effort into it, but YARV is
still not the optimal solution.
However, if we really want it to run on YARV it shouldn't be a problem was
just not worth the effort for me, i did that only to explore a bit how it
compares performance-wise and found out that it's a speedup of about 120% for
most programs.