[Nitro] Retrospective and future direction.

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 18:23:26 EDT 2006

On 4/19/06, Kashia Buch <kashia at vfemail.net> wrote:
> Hmm... now that nitroproject.org is "almost" up, nitrohq.org catched from
> James and Oxywtf, things are starting to get real better :)
>
> For Oxyliquit being off track, how do you mean that, and do you see a
> solution to make it more "common"?

He probably means that if you were thinking of what website to go for
Nitro questions and answers, oxyliquit isn't the first thing to come
to mind. :)

> > be excused for thinking this project was dead, rather than heating up.
> > Perhaps someone can take charge of the minor administravia in order to
> > take the weight off of George's overburdened shoulders ?
>
> We have Brian, I loooove him ;D

Group hug everyone. :)

> Yes yes, I'm sorry ;)
> No really, people really get more emancipated over time :P
>
> > Diagrams that cover the overall architecture would be very nice to
>
> I agree to that, wasn't there an attempt earlier... I gotta dig that
> up and put up to oxy. Thanks!
>
> > have.  And a good philosophy statement, preferably delineating what the
> > Nitro/Og projects are and are not very clearly.
>
> Hmmm... I'm not really sure what you mean here, could you rephrase for a
> non native?

How about one sentence that describes what Nitro/Og are trying to
accomplish. Does that make more sense?

> > I hear George is going to Athens or something to give a presentation.
> > That kind of profile expanding behaviour would be very helpful once the
> > website details are sorted out.  If you get people interested and they
> > come in and have no site to go to, you are going to lose most of those
> > new people.
>
> I sure hope he first finishes his  own page, until then I hope he will
> mention nitrohq.org/oxyliquit.de and let them make a note of nitroproject
>
> > How much native code does Nitro use ?  The JRuby geniuses almost have
> > rails running on the VM; it would be nice to have 'something doing' in
> > that regard.  Not terribly important, but nice.
>
> Native? none :)
> But afaik it uses Threads 'n stuff, where they supported by Java?
> I think, now that Yarv is almost finished, maybe I could test running
> Nitro with that :)

I've been meaning to try that as well. I'm fairly certain it would
work since they got rails running on yarv.

> > As to the speed of patch application, is there a way to speed this up ?
> > Is this a time constraint issue; a patch review time issue, or what ?
> > How do other projects handle these details ?  Also, is there a policy of
> > having to have a test for new features so that they can be easily
> > demonstrated and verified by the patch 'applicator' ?  What with the
> > flurry of submitted patches lately, there has to be some standard way of
> > checking for conflicts and notifying the competing contributors so that
> > a solution can be worked out.
>
> As Linus Torvalds said once: "As a project maintainer my job is to reject
> new funny patches, not to accept every single one"
> (Not an exact quote)

I think I got a new sig. :)

> At the moment the standard way to contribute, is the following:
>
> * Send to mailing list / trac
> * Brian will merge it if you ask nicely ;D
> * Brian posts question, if others have problems with patch
> * A few people answer
> * patch gets used by a few people :P
> * patch ends up in repo
>
> Note that this is not meant to be a definite guide, more a joke ;)

It's actually a pretty good guide though. Maybe we should just use
Trac? Patches sent to the list get missed alot.

> If you have any ideas on how to unify processes (sounds like UML, yuck)
> just go ahaid and outline what you think :)

Is there anyone out there who'd like to help review patches? My
general philosophy is that quote from Linus, but would be happy to go
into more detail if requested.

> And overall, your input is very welcome, keep it coming ;D

+1