[Nitro] Retrospective and future direction.

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:57:29 EDT 2006

Over the past two months, I think we've made good progress in taming
glycerin. :)

We've fixed lots of bugs, added test cases, were gifted with Oxyliquit
and our little community is growing. Good work all!

I hope people are finding Nitro and Og more stable than ever before.
And if you aren't, please let us know so we can fix it. :)

Overall, I'm pleased with our progress. I do have to note that patches
aren't being applied very quickly, so that's definitely a sticking
point in our process that is solely on me. If anyone has anything else
to add, good or bad, please do. Especially suggestions that can
improve things for us.

Now, for future direction, let's start charting our course for 0.31.0.
Community participation is especially encouraged here. :)

A few of my ideas are below. Please note, I'm merely making
suggestions, not defining a course. I think the community as a whole
should decide that.

I think we should start easing the learning curve. So I suggest we
concentrate on writing docs and asking and answering questions on
Oxyliquit. This would benefit everyone obviously.

I also think we can do a few things to make writing apps easier. I'd
like to suggest my gen scaffold and gen model ideas as enhancements to
be worked on. Basically, the scaffolding would write everything out to
files for easy editing. The model would write out an Og model for an
existing database table. The basic idea is to make it really easy to
get an application up and running.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I look forward to hearing from others.