[Nitro] XmlBuilder

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 16:45:43 EDT 2006

On 4/17/06, Bryan Soto <bryan.a.soto at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/06, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/16/06, Michael Fellinger <m.fellinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > why're you asking?
> >
> > I'm looking at the code to bring over to Facets, but I see some
> > problems with the code --primarily name clash issues, so I was
> > wondering if people were using it or not, to what degree those issues
> > were effecting them and whether a rewritten version would be okay.
> >

> For a little bit of history, see:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/nitro-general/2006-January/002540.html
>
> George says renaming shouldn't be a problem as he thinks it's only
> used indirectly within Nitro.

Thanks. Actually what I meant by name clash is with internal method
names in the XmlBuilder itself. Certain tags woould not make it the
method_missing call and thus not markup correctly. I'm almost done
rebuilding a new version that deals with these issues. OTOH I may
rename it after all b/c I'm using REXML to generate the XML instead of
just building a string. I did this simply to avoid having to worry
about proper escaping --REXML handles it automatically. So in the case
I may in fact rename it to REXMLBuilder or something like that.  If
someone would prefer a pure string builder then it would be easy
enough to create. It just takes a utility/helper module and a little
extra glue to past them together:

  class MyBuilder < Builder
    include MyHelper
    # def method_missing ...
    # def to_s ...
  end

Which brings me to this last issue --the one I think you were thinking
I meant. Jim is using Builder namespace so maybe we need something
else. But what?

T.