[Nitro] Up Dev Proc

Dimitri Aivaliotis aglarond at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:59:16 EDT 2006

On 4/7/06, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Dimitri Aivaliotis <aglarond at gmail.com> wrote:

> K. But don;t keep me waiting too long, b/c I'm tempted to start such a
> project myself --but I believe stongly in working together...

Just to be clear here: which project - the web-based SpaceMerchant or
the web-based source-tracking community app?  Or both?

> Oh, I like that. Add test/ to that too btw (something I already do

I actually thought of /test after posting. :)

> ;-). Although there also has to be room for independent
> docs/books/tests.

What do you mean by "independent" docs/books/tests?  Separate files?
Unrelated URIs?

> Hmm... I encourage you not do this --at least not at first. It will be
> much easier and quicker to get running by using "off the shelf" tech
> here. A good RCS is not a simple thing to write (as least in my
> experience, I've flirted with coding one). Use Darcs preferably, but
> use one of these for the time being and come back to implementing your
> own RCS later on.

Each RCS brings its own worldview with it.  Controlling revisions in
CVS is different than in Arch, is different than in Darcs.  I'm trying
a new approach here, with its own correspondingly new worldview. :)

> How about "bootstraping" the project. Start with the minimal
> functionality to get a working system:
>   - user reg/auth
>   - code browser
>   - "wiki" code editor
>   - automated testing
>   - revision control

> Once these minimal requirements are in place, we can turn this very
> project on itself, and pull it up by it's bootstraps!

Just what I was planning. ;)

- Dimitri