[Nitro] Up Dev Proc

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 21:04:41 EDT 2006

It would be interesting to try to "up" the whole developement process.
What could be done to significantly boost project development?

I'd like to hear others ideas irregardless of the idea I'm about to
present --so if you have any notions in mind at this point STOP
READING. Email them and then come back and finish.

So here's my "crazy" idea.

What do you think of turning development inside out. By, "inside out",
which is especially apt with regard to Nitro, I mean why not make a
sort of nitro-based develpoment wiki. Have all of the source available
on this website where people can literally edit the code on the spot
--right through the web interface.

Now what would happen is that every person who signs-up gets their own
darcs branch on the server. They can make changes and so forth and
then record them as usual but through the web interface.  (Of course
you could still work on it the traditional way too and upload your
changes if you want/need). You can also run the tests remotely. And
even have them run automatically overnight. We could automate a lot of
things. Then integrate changes to a master repo more easily.

The idea is to really open up access to development. This could really
improve involvement. And actually would be a nice demonstration of the
power of Nitro. (Hell, it could even lead to some sort of real
business model.) It could also help team development. Maybe using
Ajax, pair coding would even be possible. And given that a
Wordprocesser has actually been with Web 2.0, why not a code editor?

And so on....I'm sure your imagination can fill in the plenty more.

What do others think?