[Nitro] Gem dependencies.

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:32:50 EDT 2006

On 4/5/06, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Bryan Soto <bryan.a.soto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/5/06, TRANS <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yea, Facets is a little special b/c it is a large collection of lots
> of little libs. So it's less black-and-white when it comes to
> versioning.
>
> For instance, The lastest release had a method 'kernel/meta'  which I
> tried changing to 'kernel/instance', but Ara astutely suggested I call
> it '__self__' which I will. So it's just one method and not a commonly
> used one either, but nontheless it consititutes an interface change.

I see your point. I was thinking in terms of methods, but files are just as
much a part of the interface. When I think of it like that, it makes more
sense why you tried to get away from file requires a while back.

> Because there so much in there it's just a lot more likely for there
> to be some sort of interface change for any given release.* B/c of
> this versioning for Facets I think needs to be: major for major
> interface change, minor for minor interface changes and teeny is no
> interface change. Does that sound reasonble?

That does. Given your description, you're probably right. So the
dependency for facets, if we do change them, would be
'facets ~> 1.2.0'.

> Hmm... I guess that means I need to bump to 1.3 for the next version.

Well, I suppose you could create a placeholder file and mark it as
deprecated. :)