[Nitro] "babel": new translation system - suggestions&help wanted

Bryan Soto bryan.a.soto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 03:58:11 EDT 2006

On 4/1/06, Stephan Walter <news at stephan.walter.name> wrote:
> Hi
> I started writing a new system for translating both models and views,
> similar to "Globalize" from RoR. Currently only model translations are
> supported, and it's not optimised at all. Also you have to enter the
> languages manually :-/
> transformer pipeline?) Any suggestions or corrections are welcome!

First off, that's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

> 2. as I am automagically translating the fields into the selected
> language, this interferes with the admin interface (i.e. the admin
> interface doesn't show the actual contents of the database, but the
> translations in the base language). Is there a simple way to distinguish
> if the admin interface or the normal web app is accessing the data?

In the model you mean? Not really I think. Other than going through
the call stack.

Perhaps a new setting like 'raw' could be made that didn't do any
translation? Then you could do something like

class AdminController  # The controller mounted by part/admin on /admin

Not sure if this will work. I've pulled your code, but haven't had
time to look it over.