[Nitro] SCGI

Fabian Buch fabian at oggu.de
Fri Sep 16 14:22:07 EDT 2005

SCGI seems not a replacement of CGI or FastCGI. I couldn't find any
info about ACGI.

In scgi Apache (or whatever webserver) connects to a scgi-server, which
must already run when a user visits the site. That means for such a
webapp to run I need open a terminal and start a scgi-server manually.
In cgi or fastcgi Apache does that for me, just as needed.
A side effect of this is, that if my scgi-server or my webapp has a bug
that crashes the scgi-server it's not reachable anymore, since it won't
be restarted automatically by Apache, it'd have to be restarted
manually.

That's how I understand the situation. So for me only CGI and FastCGI
(and maybe mod_ruby) are useful for production environments (not
started via ruby --apache run.rb, but via Apache itself).

Since I've everything running in Rails so far there's no need for me to
hurry you to implement it into Nitro. If I can I'll have a look into
Nitro's CGI and FastCGI and runner.rb, but I guess I'm unfortunately
not skillful enough to succeed.

Again: no need to hurry with this. Keep up the good work the other
Nitro/Og related stuff you're working on.

Fabian