[Nitro] Elements killing <textarea></textarea>

Fabian Buch fabian at oggu.de
Wed Sep 7 13:33:51 EDT 2005

Am 07.09.2005 um 19:26 schrieb Fabian Buch:

> Am 07.09.2005 um 17:05 schrieb George Moschovitis:
>>> <textarea /> is wrong and isn't working at least in Firefox.
>> I am curious why this is wrong, any idea?
> in XHTML the end tag is required, see
> http://webdesign.about.com/od/intermediatetutorials/l/
> bltags_textarea.htm for example
> tags like <option> and <form> require end tags too, just that opposed
> to <textarea> you'd usually wouldn't leave them blank

See also http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.3:

"In SGML-based HTML 4 certain elements were permitted to omit the end
tag; with the elements that followed implying closure. XML does not
allow end tags to be omitted. All elements other than those declared in
the DTD as EMPTY must have an end tag. Elements that are declared in
the DTD as EMPTY can have an end tag or can use empty element shorthand
(see Empty Elements)."

So the shorthand /> is the exception.