[Nitro] Nitro Documentation Project (NDP)

James Britt james_b at neurogami.com
Fri Sep 2 13:18:29 EDT 2005

Robert Wagner wrote:
> hi,
>
> 2005/9/2, Michael Kohl <citizen428 at gentoo.org>:
>
>>4. Define which format to use. Wikis are undoubtedly nice, but we
>>should at lest consider alternatives. E.g. Gentoo's documenation is
>>written in GuideXML (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml), which
>>then gets converted to HTML via xslt. That's pretty neat, as it allows
>>us to generate different output from the same source easily. This may
>>or may not be intersting for Nitro, but at least we should discuss it.
>>

> i like the gentoo doc stuff. when i was in the mood of documenting my
> lib long time ago :) i imitated the looks and added
> *direct-running-examples* and i like it still.
> http://www.xorc.org/xorcdoc/form_1.php

Is anyone actually suggesting people write docs in XML?

Is there a problem with simply starting off with, say, textile or
markdown, in simple flat-files?

If writing docs is any harder than absolutely necessary it won't get
done.  Goal number one: get accurate content.

A wiki, with user authentication, seems snake simple.

Or perhaps this (I haven't tried it yet myself)
http://www.writely.com/

or something like it.

James Britt