[Nitro] Documentation

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 07:34:25 EDT 2005

Peter, James, all,

I can understand your frustration with the documentation issues but
you have to understand that this is project can't be an 'one man
show'. Of course things could be better, but there is a tutorial,
there is a small FAQ, there are many, high quality examples, there is
this mailing list, an IRC channel, etc.

This is much more than what was available when Rails was initially
released, and yet many people were able to contribute more to the
Rails project. On the other hand, take the example of people like
James, Michael, Matt, Guillaume, Deb, Tasos, Aleksi, Tom and others
that have taken the time to go through the code and send patches,
write some docs, answer  questions in the mailing list or even send
Nitro logos. Hey, we even got some PayPal donations.

The simple truth is that *this project needs more help from the Community*.

If you like this project you should consider contributing more. In a
perfect world I (and other developers of Navel, the company behind
Nitro) would work all the day on Nitro, write documentation, polish
the web site, etc. Instead, we have to work on client's projects to
make a living.

Perhaps we could arrange for a fund (similar to the Rails Logo fund)
in order to build better documentation or add more features. Perhaps
we could arrange for a PayPal account were people interested in this
project could donate small amounts?

Or perhaps everyone in this list would try to contribute some time and
code to make this project better. It would be encouraging for me and
other contributors to see some real world sites using this technology.
Or see some articles on Nitro on blogs.

Or at least be more patient, and trust that we *do plan* on providing
quality documentation along with a quality platform. We just need time
and your help!

In the meantime, give it a try, it is not THAT hard to use Nitro/Og as
it is now. And if you have questions ask on this list.

George

--
http://www.gmosx.com
http://www.navel.gr