[Nitro] Documentation (was: Nitro/OG examples that show recommended...)

Peter Abrahamsen rainhead at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:14:25 EDT 2005

I would expand on this to say that, IMHO, Nitro+Og+... s in desperate
need of good documentation. The rdoc and walkthroughs are valuable,
but they don't replace real documentation. Real documentation would
have a bunch of best practices for all common tasks, as well as
listings of all the tools you have in different contexts. Some of
this could be built into the rdoc, but there ought to be several
starting points outside of the source code or module structure.

It's been frustrating trying to learn how things work browsing either
the source or the rdoc modules list. I can only find the information
I'm looking for once I understand how the code works and is laid out,
and even then it's spread out between too many files and modules. I
don't think I should have to do that.

The constant stream of good, new features is impressive, but I think
that some excellent documentation would do a lot to bring more people
on to the project. Maybe that's where you're heading already, maybe
you're waiting for the API to settle more before 1.0, I don't know.

I feel like it'll be some time before I understand Nitro well enough
to write best practices or reference docs, but maybe there's
something I can do to help. Let me know.