[Nitro] Automatic object evolution

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:50:56 EDT 2005

On 10/27/05, Rob Pitt <rob at motionpath.com> wrote:
> Ahh conflicting information!
>
> George wants interactive, me and Chris want it settable with options
> when doing Og.setup and you want methods :)

I'm not so sure we "want", I think it's more just suggsting possible solution.

> Here is how I see this then,
>
> Interactive is the default behaviour.
> You can set options like:

Ah this helps.

>   Og.setup(
>         :store => 'psql',
>         :address => 'host',
>         :name => 'database',
>         :user => dbclient',
>         :password => 'naughty',
>         :evolve_schema => 'true' <------------- this would cause both
> create and delete to happen non-interactively but would log info in
> debug mode

Okay, but the default if not given is false.

>         :evolve_schema_constructive => 'true' <---------- this would
> cause creates to happen silently but prompt for delete

I'm not so sure about prompting. Prompting is generally not a good
idea --that's why we have settings like this one. How about:

         :evolve_schema_cautious => 'true' <---------- this would
> cause creates to happen but not deletes.

only applies if evolve_schema is set and it should default to true.

>         :evolve_schema_destructive => 'true' <---------- this would
> cause deletes to happen silently but prompt for creates

This last one I think is useless.

The reason I take this approach  is because it is too easy to
inadvertantly cause a field delete, and if your working in live-data
conditions by chance....well, I hope you remembered to back-up!

T.