[Nitro] Seaside style call/answer mechanism

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Thu Nov 24 14:03:32 EST 2005

Am 24.11.2005 um 19:21 schrieb George Moschovitis:
>> In Seaside/Wee the whole thing is implemented not by storing URLs,
>> but actually the state of the component as of the time when you call
>> #call.
>
> Can you please explain this in more detail here on the list?

Wee/Seaside is stateful, i.e. components stay in memory in contrast
to controllers in Nitro/Rails. Each user has it's own components tree
(yep, components are composites and can form a tree). An action (e.g.
clicking on a <a href> tag or posting a <form>) will change the state
of the components. Each action will create a new "page". A page is
simply a snapshot of the state of the components tree at some time
and is associated with a unique ID. The URL will always contain the
page-id of the current page. So theoretically you can say: "Show me
the page as of two days ago".
The conclusion of all this is, that you can uniquely identify pages
(and as such actions, too). This makes it a lot easier.

Regards,

   Michael