[Nitro] javascript and session

TimH timh at dirtymonday.net
Thu Nov 24 13:17:19 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:00:19 +0200 (EET)
Emmanuel Piperakis <epiperak at softlab.ece.ntua.gr> wrote:

> >> Also, popups look COOL, especially to people with small or none
> >> experience.
> >
> > I think popups in a webap are uncool!
> >
> and let the war begin!

	Might as well toss my $.02 in then!  As a general rule popup windows are something I really dislike, but there have been a few occasions where I could not come up with a better way to do certain things...  For example, I had a form that allowed people to enter a rather complicated set of data into a database, and the records had a lot of complicated relationships.  The cleanest way to solve the problem of adding some of this data was to add a search field for some entries.  This would pop up a search box that the user could select the correct item from (out of many thousands of possibilities), and once selected the window would go away, leaving the selected data in the field of the parent window.  It was pretty clean.  So, as a general rule: uncool.  For specific situations: may be the best way.

--TimH