[Nitro] Generators

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:00:43 EST 2005

On 11/3/05, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea was to make this more generally reusable. This should evolve
> into a geneal ruby code generator. At the moment it is an initial
> release to get some feedback from the community. So if you have ideas
> about how to make this more generic let me know. And I f we cannot
> make this usable out of Nitro I 'll remove the project.

I think that's a fair notion, I just think you should move it out of
Nitro when the time is right rather then plan too far ahead.  The
future is astoundingly unpredictable ;-) It's important that a new
project have intrinsic value because creating a separate project
entails a great deal more work and has a wider effect on the community
as a whole. We have to maintain this separate package, it's directory
structure, documentation, testcases, versioning etc, independently and
yet in sync with it's dependencies. Moreover it takes up a namespace
'gen' in the community pool. We need another rubyforge project and all
that goes with that, etc.

So my humble opnion is simply "no wine before it's time": Gen might
have a bright independent future ahead but she doesn't have enough
intrinsic value to justify all the extra work and responsibility of a
separate project at this time.

T.