[Nitro] What do you think?

George Moschovitis gm at navel.gr
Thu Mar 10 10:05:17 EST 2005

> I tend to prefer being able to use more or less standard file
> extensions, as editors know how to do The Right Thing.  (Which is also
> why I prefer that (x)html templates use PI syntax (<? ?>) ratchet than
> ASP/ERB syntax (<%%>for embedded commands)

You are right, thats why I used this extension in the first place.
However, in preparing the codebase to support caching I think I 'll
probably change the extension, other opinions?

> But perhaps this can be configurable?

> Separate gems might be nice, too.  Hard to say given my very limited us
> of Og/Nitro.   But as a general rule I prefer independent tools, each
> usable on their own, hooked together.   One issue I have with Rails is
> that, despite the availability of separate gems, it is resented as a
> monolithic application library; for example, I have to download and
> install ActiveMailer ever though I've yet to have a use for it.

I created the 3 gems, looks much nicer. Btw you are right about Rails
being monolithic. I tried to see how i could use just action mailer or
just active support with Nitro, but it doesnt seem possible. There is
lots of bloat. And I hate those LOOOOOOOOONG namespace modules
(like ActiveSupport::CoreExt::Numeric)

Anyway expect some sort of active support/ actionmailer functionality in
the next version of Nitro. And much more cleaned up code.