[Nitro] A few questions

George Moschovitis george.moschovitis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:57:45 EDT 2005

Hello David,

> 1) Something rubs me the wrong way about the application dynamically creating
> the database schema as needed.  In some environments, the db user for the
> application may not even have permissions to create tables and columns.
> Has any consideration been given to an option to simply generate a schema
> generation script from the class information?

this is in the TODO list (relatively easy to implement).

> 2) Is there anyway to specify "NOT NULL" without providing the SQL type?

hmm, you are correct, I 'll need to add a :notnull option.

> 3) Is there something magical about 'db', or does the Database object
> effectively act like a singleton?  How does the object know it's bound to
> 'db'?

there is nothing special with db, you can use any variable name you want.

> 4) When you save, how much does Og save?  Mostly I'm interested in the case of
> A has_one/many B.  If I save A, will any dirty B objects be saved?

at the moment no. There is some code to do this but not yet enabled. A
'build' mode will be available in the next release.

regards,
George.

--
http://nitro.rubyforge.org