[Nitro] Re: [ANN] Nitro + Og 0.10.0

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Tue Feb 15 06:26:17 EST 2005

George Moschovitis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> new versions of Nitro and Og were just released.
> Homepage: http://www.navel.gr/nitro
> Download: http://www.rubyforge.com/projects/nitro
> Another strong release featuring a completely recoded Og implementation
> and redesigned Og adapter (formely backend) system. An SQLite3 adapter
> is also provided. Moreover, the Nitro installation process is improved,
> and many small changes make the framework more elegant and easier to
> use: the updated examples reflect this!
> Most notable additions:
> * Improved Og implementation (cleaner code) and new Og adapter
> subsystem.
> * New SQLite3 Og adapter, improvements in MySQL and PostgreSQL adapters
> (WARNING: needs version 1.1.0 of Sqlite3-Ruby).

Wow. That's very good news. That makes database examples much easier, as
everyone will be able to try them without installing and configuring
Mysql or Postgresql. Thanks!

How to install the SQLite3 library? Could you give the gem name?

Hm, just an idea: Make a "og-sqlite3" meta gem, which serves just for
installing the SQLite3 dependencies.

> * Added install.rb for easier installation of the tar.gz distribution.
> * Better GemSpec for easier installation by RubyGems.
> * Action/template/xsl auto-reloading system in debug mode, new
> implementation, works again.
> * New Nitro configuration system, with rational default parameters.
> * --console option attaches an irb session to a running instace of an
> application (works again).

Could you explain how this works and how this can be useful (I'm sure it
*is* useful, but I don't know exactly what it is ;-).

> * Og supports optional typechecking by using property metadata.

Can you give a little example?