[Nitro] Facets/Calibre (Nano/Mega) (In)Sanity

zimba-tm zimba.tm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:17:57 EST 2005

Hi Tom,
I agree with George regarding the release of multiple projects.
For me, one gem corresponds to one utility. A pdf library, a robotcombat game, ... In your case, the problem is that facets is none ofthese. A gem is there to put together files  that will changetogether. This is why I think it's difficult for you to organise it.Because facets is more an extension of the ruby core lib and manyclasses are independent from each-other.
What I would do, is put all files in one package. One folder for allutils, each one in a different file, and one folder for classes thatwork together. If you think one class will always be used withanother, then you can put both in the same file. You could alsorelease every independent class as a separate gem, but I don't thinkit makes sense to release a gem with a single file in it.
I see this like a database relationship. A file is a database, afolder is a group of databases. Each group can contain different"tables". This could be descibed with UML. However it doesn't apply toevery case.
Also, I don't know your lib that much, so I can't give preciseadvices, but sometimes it's good to have somebody else giving externaladvices. This is why I'm telling all this.
Hope this helps.
On 23/12/05, George Moschovitis <george.moschovitis at gmail.com> wrote:> Hello Tom,>> as I have told you privately, I like the organization used in> facets-2005.10.30 (the version used by Nitro).>> Ie, the project is named facets, and you categorize small methods> in nano, and bigger classes in mega.>> Alternatively you could keep big classes in calibre and small> classes in facets. But please, please, PLEASE don't release the calibre> classes as separate gems. This TOTALY sucks!>> Any other opinions?>> regards,> George>> --> http://www.gmosx.com> http://www.navel.gr> http://www.nitrohq.com>> _______________________________________________> Nitro-general mailing list> Nitro-general at rubyforge.org> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/nitro-general>

--Cheers,  zimba
http://zimba.oree.ch