[Nitro] vandalized homepage

manveru ulmo at valaraan.de
Thu Aug 25 09:54:21 EDT 2005

TRANS wrote:

>On 8/25/05, Michael Neumann <mneumann at ntecs.de> wrote:
>

>>TRANS wrote:

>>>What kind of validation do people prefer?
>>>

>>I think a very simple:
>>
>>        Please enter the result of #{ rand(10) } + #{ rand(10) }
>>
>>would do, assuming that everyone can add two numbers ;-)
>>

>Maybe so. But if some went out of their way to target the site, that
>would quickly be overcome. Of course you could make it a littel
>tickery, a random set of simple english word problems. I'm sure I
>could come up with a 100 of these in day.
>
>  "What is 4 plus the number of legs a dog has?" :-)
>
>OTOH, IP validation is more interesting, but I'm not sure of
>limitations. Essentially your IP is kept on record as valid. If you
>submit and it's not there it asks for your email address to which it
>will send a validation email, i.e. either reply back or click link,
>which then adds your IP to the list. From then on you wont have to do
>it again, at least not from that location.
>
>T.

IP-validation is of no use... IP's change all the time, and i don't like
the thought to reregister my IP-address all the time while other people
wich get my IP have access... i don't think it's THAT dangerous, but it
is not secure and i'm sure it won't be comfortable - especiall for
people who need some proxy-server to access the web and whose IP changes
all the time due to load-balancing between proxies...

and i have one question ... is this all about preventing vandalizing by
bots AND humans?

for bots the job is done by some simple image, but what hinders humans
to access and vandalize?

MfG
manveru