[Nitro] vandalized homepage

TRANS transfire at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:14:44 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Michael Neumann <mneumann at ntecs.de> wrote:
> TRANS wrote:
> > On 8/25/05, Martin Bernd Schmeil <bernd at bdebl.de> wrote:
> >
> >>How about introducing authentification to the wiki? There are more
> >>attempts of vandalization than additions / updates....
> >

> > What kind of validation do people prefer?
> >

> I think a very simple:
>
>         Please enter the result of #{ rand(10) } + #{ rand(10) }
>
> would do, assuming that everyone can add two numbers ;-)

Maybe so. But if some went out of their way to target the site, that
would quickly be overcome. Of course you could make it a littel
tickery, a random set of simple english word problems. I'm sure I
could come up with a 100 of these in day.

  "What is 4 plus the number of legs a dog has?" :-)

OTOH, IP validation is more interesting, but I'm not sure of
limitations. Essentially your IP is kept on record as valid. If you
submit and it's not there it asks for your email address to which it
will send a validation email, i.e. either reply back or click link,
which then adds your IP to the list. From then on you wont have to do
it again, at least not from that location.

T.