[Nitro] Og::Store (was Re: og regarding legacy apps table hints)

Deborah Hooker deb at ysabel.org
Fri Aug 19 03:36:09 EDT 2005

George Moschovitis wrote:
> Another small question:
> What does the name Structured denote, ie, what is an 'Unstructured' store?

A pure unstructured store would be one that serialized the objects as blobs,
I would think.  Nominally, a Structured store is one that needs a lot of
information about the inherent structure of the objects stored in it
(objects/properties/relationships-between-instances) in order to correctly
and efficiently store and retrieve the objects.  You could even build an
unstructured store on top of a SQL database by just serializing the object
and storing it in one field (though I wouldn't think you'd usually want to
do that).

I was considering the idea, btw, that a caching layer could be implemented
as an unstructured store on top of another store; as in-memory objects,
there's no need to know much about the internals, just enough to keep
references resolved correctly and make sure that multiple requests for the
same object kick back the same instance.  (I actually have an implementation
of something much like that in python, on top of pickle/unpickle into a BDB

It's likely that the most basic bits of primary keys and relationships
between objects needs to get kicked up a level in the inheritance tree -- my
first pass through had that separation, but I decided I didn't understand
where the line really needed to be drawn yet, so I switched back to having
them all together until I sorted out where the line really was.

It's also likely that "Structured" is (mmm, gut-feel says) about three
different concepts mashed together; I'm hoping that trying to implement a
few different underlying layers will tease out where the lines between them
belong.  The only line that was very clear to me was the line between
"object structure" and SQL, thus the Structured/SQL split, which is pretty
carefully defined and kept clean (I think).

Does that at least make general sense?  It's 1:30 am here and so I'm a
little spacey.  I should go to bed soon.  *grin*

[ deb at ysabel.org ]          - Ysabel -          [ http://www.ysabel.org/ ]