[Nitro] Og in legacy environments

Robert Wagner robbie.wilhelm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:56:36 EDT 2005

hi kevin,
currently only primary key and foreign key aliases are supported.
set_primary_key :name, :foreign_field
sequence aliases will come soon :)

george calls it the reverse mode.
look at: http://nitrohq.com/view/Release_notes

i think, to make og real powerful, there has to be done a few things in this
direction. the concept of og is not to care at all at the db ddl. let
og do all the
work. in practice, i would say, that is simply impossible. fourther more, there
are many legacy apps that could be enhanced by ruby og scripts if it was the
'swiss knife' of OR libs.

what i'd like to see is a way to read the properties/
relationdeclares/ foreign-key
stuff per ogified class from an external file, that is quick to parse
like ini or yaml (NOT xml). i was pretty convinced once i saw, how
helma (http://helma.org/) handled that stuff with ini files. so i'm
doing so with a php OR class and i'm quite happy with it.
that could be quite useful to generate ddl from that files and vica versa....

just a few thoughts.