[Nitro] user registration / authentication: email validation

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Sun Aug 14 14:45:11 EDT 2005

Martin Bernd Schmeil wrote:
> Hi all,
> I finally had the opportunaty to work half-way through the tutorial and
> I'm looking forward for my own 20-30 mins a day nitro development. One
> thing that I'd really need is the standard user registration per email,
> i.e. user  registers with user name, email and password, gets an email
> with a link she has to click to become authorized to enter the site.
> Does this funcitionality already exist? Or will nitro-auth cover it soon?

I just finished the implementation for this in Rails ;-)
(and i've done one in Wee, too :))). So, it's not that hard to do in
Nitro either ;-)

I've two tables: accounts and activation_ids. Accounts has a field
active, which by default is false. When a user signs up for an account,
the account is created (inserted into table accounts) but is inactive.
Furthermore an entry is inserted into activation_ids, with a unique SHA1
sum, which is sent out to the user by id. A controller
/account/activate/"checksum" will then delete the corresponding
activation_id and set the account.active to true.