[Nitro] OT: Anyone used darcs?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Thu Aug 11 14:19:16 EDT 2005

George Moschovitis wrote:
> I have a small question not directly related with nitro. Has anyone on this
> list any (positive/negative) experience with Darcs?

I've used it last year, for a small university project. It's *very* easy
to setup. Commands are a little bit different if you come from CVS/svn,
but it's easy to learn. Nice is that you can view every diff or only
apply partially diffs, so for example you can hack a new prototyp and
then selectively commit only parts of the changes to the repository. I
missed that feature serveral times in subversion/CVS, where you can only
commit all at once or selected files.

I don't know whether darcs can 'move' modified files. Subversion can't.
  Sometimes you need to move a file and make a change. That has to be
split across two commit, which is not very nice. And CVS can't even
rename ;-)

But I never tried Darcs with multiple users.

Then I tried to maintain configuration files with Darcs and realized
that it does not handle permissions. For this task it's not suited.

In total, mostly positive experience (except the long build duration of
Haskell GHC ;-). My feeling is that Darcs is much more mature than
subversion.

Regards,

   Michael