[Nitro] [OG] - Automated table modification / extension

Dan Yoder dan at zeraweb.com
Sun Apr 17 09:21:07 EDT 2005

All -

1. I think it needs be somewhat of a given that criticisms or questions
or whatever have a built in disclaimer that, hey, it is great that this
framework is being developed, and i would offer this as a patch or
something if could, but I lack the time/understanding/etc. to do so ...
G. has, I think, been very much in this spirit in handling all our
"demands."

2. As to the feature request for add/remove property, I think the
entire schema migration issue is crucial. Already, Og differentiates
itself from any alternative Ruby persistence frameworks in the fact
that it is driven from the Ruby model and will automatically create the
required tables. Adding automatic schema migration (and appropriate
exceptions in the cases where this results in loss of data or is
ambiguous) would cement Og's position as the emerging premier
persistence solution in Ruby.

3. That said, I've tried to build such a thing (not in Ruby, but ...)
and it isn't easy to get right. (How do you handle a field name change,
for example?) This is why some folks find the database-driven (instead
of Ruby driven) approach so appealing. You make the change in the
database and you're done. Of course, this only actually works for
simple examples or if you start using views, etc. It is worth
considering whether the work involved in defining a view is any
different than simply manually adding or removing fields.

4. In other words, this is a really cool feature request, but I am not
so sure it is a very high priority.

Just my two cents.

p.s. I do think at some point (probably soon, based on the downloads)
it will become important for Nitro to upgrade its image (Web sites,
etc.). I would imagine that's in G's master plan. Awhile back, he
talked to this issue in a post, and if I recall correctly, there were a
few releases coming with crucial features, at which point some effort
was going to be put into documentation, etc.

---
Dan Yoder
cell: 512-699-9866
email: dan at zeraweb.com