[Nitro] [OG] - Automated table modification / extension

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Fri Apr 15 01:44:29 EDT 2005

George Moschovitis wrote:
> If you are designing your application just drop the database and let
> og create the tables again.

this is inconvenient.

> If you your application is live (in
> production) you have to manually alter the table.

inconvenient, too.

> An older version of Og had an alter method that tried to automatically
> alter the table to much the updated class definition. I 'll
> reimplement this funtionality (or perhaps someone can send me a
> patch).

this functionality is essential.

I mean, why do I use a dynamic language?

I hope this can be re-implemented soon, at least for simple
modifications, like "add property", "remove property" or "change
property type/size" etc.

And: objects should have a flag, which disallows automated
table-alterations.

http://lazaridis.com