[Nitro] Concerns over Og mandating the form of initialize

PAUL HANCHETT paulha at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 14 12:03:04 EDT 2005

Anastasios Koutoumanos wrote:

> i think you're missing the fact that tstamp is just a class variable,
> not a prop_* variable!
> james is right in the fact that we should allow for internal class
> variables to be persisted some way.
> but you're right saying that initialised should _not_ be used when
> restoring an object from the backend.

So, if you persist a class variable when do you do it?  At different
times in the life of the class it may have different values which are
not related to any instance values saved.  It definitely should not be
saved and restored as part of any particular instance value!

One solution might be to encapsulate class values into a class of their
own, and persist *that* class as a singleton.